In today’s competitive market, where consumers are bombarded with choices, it is imperative to have a captivating food packaging on the shelf. A good packaging not only protects the contents but also communicates the brand’s identity and entices customers to make a purchase. Here are essential tips for designing food packaging that stands out on the shelf and leaves a lasting impression.
1. The Power of Colour:
Colour is a powerful tool in food packaging design. It can evoke emotions and influence purchasing decisions. Consider the following when selecting colours:
- Branding: Ensure the colours align with your brand identity.
- Appetite Appeal: Warm colours like red and yellow tends to stimulate appetite, while greens often conveys healthier and fresher food1.
2. Thoughtful Design:
A well-thought-out design can tell a story and make your product memorable. Consider these design elements:
- Visual Hierarchy: Arrange information logically, with the most important elements prominently displayed.
- Whitespace: Don’t overcrowd the packaging; whitespace can make the design look clean and elegant.
3. Storytelling and Transparency:
Engage consumers by telling the story behind your product:
- Product Origins: Share information about where the ingredients are sourced or the product is made.
- Transparency: Include nutritional information, ingredients, and any certifications prominently.
4. Coating for Safety:
Safety is paramount in food packaging. Ensure your packaging materials and coatings are food-safe:
- Barrier Coatings: Use coatings that protect against moisture and contaminants to maintain product freshness and safety.
- FDA Approval: Ensure that all coatings and materials comply with the regulations of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and safe for direct contact with food.
5. Sturdiness and Durability:
Your food packaging must withstand handling, transportation, and storage. Consider these factors:
- Material Selection: Choose sturdy and durable materials that protect the product from damage.
- Functional Design: Ensure that the packaging is easy to open and reseal if necessary.
OVOL Singapore currently offers a range of food packaging boards that can be used to create durable food containers. One of the most popular options is the PE Food Board, a polyethylene-coated white board specifically engineered to endure temperatures ranging from -18 to 100 degrees Celsius. This board features exceptional sturdiness while ensuring the consumer safety, being FDA Certified for safe direct contact with food items. Feel free to contact us here to learn more!